Doctor Who : Time and Space.
On November 23rd 1963 a legendary television series began on BBC1 which was to dominate the Saturday evening viewing schedule for almost thirty years before being cancelled and then reawakened in 2005, better than ever.
For fifty years children and adults alike have explored the past, the future and fantastical other worlds from the comfort of their sofa; whether sat on it or cowering behind it. At the centre of this maelstrom, the enigmatic and eccentric character of The Doctor; travelling in time and space in his stolen TARDIS, battling a universal assortment of creatures from Autons to Zygons via the greatest and possibly most comical enemy, the Daleks.
Westgate Studios are holding a celebratory exhibition in the project space, curated by studio holder Bob Milner. The exhibition will open on Wednesday 27th November 5-9pm and run until December 15th, viewing by appointment.
Westgate is a totally independent association of individual artists; we all rent space in the building and participate in the Wakefield Artwalk every two months. We do not receive funding from the council or other arts organisations. We do not charge a fee for application or inclusion and we do not take any commission on sales. If we like your work, we’d like to include it. Pretty simple and straightforward.
We want your art! This is an open call for proposals of work which have a connection to Doctor Who and the broader themes within the series. All media are accepted for consideration. However! As a non-funded venture, any audio/visual equipment has to be begged, borrowed or hastily purchased from eBay.
The deadline for proposals is Friday November 1st.
All work needs to be delivered to the gallery by November 15th either by post or in person, subject to prior arrangement. Work will be returned after the exhibition.
Please send a brief proposal, any relevant images and/or a website link to: email@example.com using DR WHO in the subject line.
Please use the jpeg format for images and any zip files will not be opened!
If you need any further information contact: @peepart on Twitter.
For information about the Artwalk: http://www.artwalk.org.uk
Yes, slack. I could or should have uploaded these pictures ages ago. Sorry! Been very busy on Twitter…but, here it is, the penultimate #tweetart show….
A preview sneak of tonight! If you can’t make it…why not?! If you can, see you via beer goggles.
Another slideshow…if it works…we installed some of our collection of over 1000 beer mats at the Ante art exhibition in Shipley, West Yorkshire. And we had a table for ‘making your own’.
Here it is! A blog posting….finally, after so long.
We have a small, self-contained gallery space in our studio (Westgate Studio, Wakefield, UK) which was formerly The Prince Albert (see the picture in a previous post, down there, scroll…) and is now white-walled, tidy and has become the latest incarnation of PEEP! gallery; an ongoing project that I have written a lot about in previous posts from years ago, none of which I have read recently but I would probably stand by some, most or none of it.
For the next year, I want the lovely people on Twitter to send in ‘art’ to be displayed in the space! We have six one-night exhibition opportunities coming up in 2012 as part of the Wakefield Artwalk. At each event there will be other planned exhibitions both at Westgate Studio and other venues including The Arthouse, The Hepworth Gallery and BEAM. I will try to remember to add links at the bottom of this post.
We get a good many people through on each night; we have beer, fun and hopefully the public will tweet the participants on the night telling them how brilliant their contribution was! A bit live and a bit interactive!
We’re accepting work from…now! Don’t delay, send it!
The tweetart events will be: January 25th, March 28th, May 30th, July 25th, September 26th and November 28th. The gallery space is approximately 16ft x 4ft and we have plinths as well as empty frames and white tack and nails and patience.
Some key information:
1. We can only return work if clearly marked as required and postage is included, the idea is that we keep hold of the work for the tweetart archive and exhibit it in any/many of the shows. Please do not send your most-prized drawing ever!
2. We accept drawing/painting/collage/photography/text pieces/2D/3D/found/lost/postal/coastal, in short anything except illegal substances or living things. Please note the size of the gallery. We would prefer work to be limited to A6-A3 size generally. We have a small supply of frames and we may or may not frame your work! We reserve the right to curate freely!
3. Open submission. We will ‘make it work’! There is no theme. And send as many pieces as you like!
4. You have to be ‘on’ Twitter. Please make sure you include your @ name as we will be displaying this along with your work. And please include any other information as appropriate, such as title (if there is one!), medium and so on.
5. Please post all your stuff to: @peepart/Studio A6/Westgate Studio/55 Westgate/WAKEFIELD/WF1 1BG/UK